Monday, August 22, 2011

Back to School: Bittersweet

All through the summer, whenever my girls (9 and 10) would get on my nerves, I would repeat this mantra in my head, "I can't wait until school starts, I can't wait until school starts." Now that we're right on the cusp of my babies entering another school year, I feel conflicted. I'm happy for this fresh start, but sad at the loss of another year of innocence.  It's bittersweet.

Image courtesy of: http://tinyurl.com/LemSug

I think of when my girls first started school and I was working full-time.  How my oldest still remembers that we had to drop her off in latchkey because we couldn't take the day off.  How all of the other parents were there but us.  I still feel bad about it.  My youngest still doesn't really like school and would much prefer to be homeschooled, but we can't do that right now.  Besides, there's nothing wrong with her school. She just prefers to be with me. (sidenote: awwww)

I am one of those parents that is involved in everything that I can be involved in.. So the beginning of the school year means a lot for me as well.  It's our balancing act.  Making sure that everyone is able to do everything that we need and most of what we want. I can't get the time back that we lost while I was working crazy hours, but at the same time, I can work to make it better.


Here's to another year!

No comments:

Post a Comment