Monday, October 26, 2009

Homemade Dishwashing Detergent and Rinse Aid


How I wish that the above picture were true! A holiday from apron strings.. what a lovely dream. I will admit that my dishwasher makes my life easier, but it's just one small aspect of taking care of my kitchen. *le sigh*  I was a fan of the Cascade action packs, but the cost, the labels that read as a "who's who" in poison, etc. prompted me to look for other options.  After reading up on it, and searching the internet for other options, I found that this formula works best for me:


I've been using this for a minute as a test, so I trust it!

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent

Ingredients

1–box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (I found mine at Kroger in the laundry aisle)
1–box of 20 Mule Team Borax
1–box of coarse Kosher Salt
1-container food-grade Citric Acid = I had some already, but you can find it online (Amazon.com/ebay) extra cheap, or you can find it in spice specialty stores. Kroger has it sometimes, and it's either called Citric Acid or Sour Salt. If you cannot find this you can substitute 2 lemon Kool-aid packets per batch that you make. They have to be lemon, because otherwise, they'll discolor the inside of your dishwasher.

Rinse Aid
1 – gallon of White Vinegar

In a container with a lid (Old coffee cans work great) mix:

1/2 cup washing soda
1/2 cup borax
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup citric acid

Shake well! That's it! When you pour it into your dishwasher cup, use about 1 tablespoon of the mix. It will clump together, but that's fine. It's because of the citric acid.

For the rinse aid, simply fill up your rinse aid compartment with vinegar. Not only does it keep your dishwasher clean and deodorized, it's great for the dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment